[nSLUG] Backups: dealing with large, growing photo collections (was: Selling Used Computers)

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 16:27:43 ADT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Jack Warkentin <jwark at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> How much power does this system consume? Since it uses an atom processor
> I assume it is very low, but even then, with it on all the time (as I
> assume it must be from the uses you described) it's power consumption
> could mount up.
>
> Power consumption in non-home computer systems has been a big concern
> for some time, but not, as far as I know, for the home user. I know I
> used to leave my computer on for anywhere from 8 to 16 hours per day,
> but no longer. We all need to reduce our ecological footprints. Maybe we
> as individuals can afford the cost of electricity to keep our machines
> on 24/7, *but the earth cannot*.

There was a thread here when I mentioned my findings back in 2008:

http://nslug.ns.ca/pipermail/nslug/2008-September/011793.html

Since then I've also measured a typical low end Dell tower
with Intel dual core and a single drive and it was hovering
around 90 watts.

The first gen Atom boards tended to have failing heatsink fan,
so I replaced it preemptively.  Also observed a failed built in
NIC (millions of lost packets) and added a NIC on the only PCI
slot available - this happened in year two.

I have not heard more about the ultra low power AMD solution
Tom's Hardware Guide reviewed back in 2008.

The other take on this list is that some Linux users in NS have cold
rooms and run their systems there with the benefit of it
providing them with some heat.

--Donald