[nSLUG] Backups: dealing with large, growing photo collections (was: Selling Used Computers)

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Wed Mar 31 16:02:16 ADT 2010

Hi Donald

D G Teed wrote:
> I'm sure everyone has slightly different user and data scenarios,
> even for home systems.

Right on.

> I have a Debian x86 Atom system with mirrored 500GB drives.

How much power does this system consume? Since it uses an atom processor
I assume it is very low, but even then, with it on all the time (as I
assume it must be from the uses you described) it's power consumption
could mount up.

Power consumption in non-home computer systems has been a big concern
for some time, but not, as far as I know, for the home user. I know I
used to leave my computer on for anywhere from 8 to 16 hours per day,
but no longer. We all need to reduce our ecological footprints. Maybe we
as individuals can afford the cost of electricity to keep our machines
on 24/7, *but the earth cannot*.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca