[nSLUG] Backups: dealing with large, growing photo collections

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Wed Mar 31 15:52:57 ADT 2010

Hi Ben

It's interesting that you should introduce this topic at this time,
since I have been struggling with setting up my own *improved* backup
system myself now for about 9 months - improved, that is, over what I
have been doing in the past.

One of the things I came across is something called Box Backup, which
backs up files to online, ie disk, media. See

http://www.boxbackup.org/   and
http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/wiki

It is available on Debian testing as boxbackup-server   and
boxbackup-client.

I have it installed (both client and server) on my desktop system but
have not had time to determine how well it is working. But I am thinking
that the bbackupquery list command, with appropriate options, could be
used to determine which files have not changed in a long time. With
appropriate filtering, it might be possible to determine which, say,
digital photos had not been modified for some time so that they would be
good candidates for archiving to DVD.

I plan on getting box backup going on my netbook and demonstrating it at
the Linuxfest.

Regards

Jack