[nSLUG] Backups: dealing with large, growing photo collections (was: Selling Used Computers)

Pat Gagnon patgagnon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 10:05:52 ADT 2010

I have been thinking about the same issue, especially with the kids getting
older and having digital cameras now. Our needs are around 500 Gigs at the
moment for pics, personal and business files and mail archives.

I am contemplating a RAID 6 array for both daily storage and short term
backup.  Then using 2 sets of external drives for long term backups with a
weekly schedule.  These would only be powered when doing the backup or
restore and be turned off otherwise as to minimize wear and tear. I'm
thinking of 2 such sets of drives which means I would have 3 copies of all
the essentials with the potential of only one week's worth of data losses.

I'm still trying to figure out which distro I should use to setup the RAID
box.

Pat