[nSLUG] Selling Used Computers

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Mar 29 09:33:24 ADT 2010

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, George N. White III wrote:

> Computers shouldn't be going to landfill -- they are supposed to be disposed
> of in an environmentally sound way

***   Send working ones to Lakecity Woodworkers. They refurbish even
older ones for needy persons.

> After hearing about the problems for funding of CAP sites, I suspect there
> are people who don't have the money for a current windows PS,

***   Your suspicions are correct. I know persons (both poor and
handicapped) that cannot afford new computers.

> I have friends who tried installing linux on older computers for
> their kids, but the kids "would just die" without iTunes, so linux
> was abandoned and they ended up buying new computers.

***   Are the "iTunes" people or any independents considering
developing or porting the program for non Windows machines?

> In the past I know there have been efforts to make older computers
> available, sometimes connected to a trade school where students
> "refurbish" older computers.  One problem is that old hard disks are
> too failure prone and should be one of the first components to be
> replaced with new, so you need some real cash for new disk drives.

***   There are plenty of newer, but used, hard drives around from
those upscaling for bloatware or excessive media storage.

  Richard