[nSLUG] Linux Fest Wireless? (fwd)

Oliver Baltzer oliver at hytek.org
Fri Mar 26 10:34:19 ADT 2010

Hi all,

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:04:56 -0400 (AST), Richard Bonner
<ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>      Do you know how we can get Internet accessibility for the Linux
> Fest? Last time, someone from Dal ACM brought in a hub or similar.

I don't know if anything has changed with the UCIS/ITS network since the
last Install Fest I was helping to setup, but we used to run a local
network routed by either a dedicated machine or a OpenWRT/DD-WRT router
which also provided a public wireless for the time of the event.
Additionally the wired network was extended by two 100 Mb/s switches. The
reason for this setup was that UCIS required wired machines to have their
MAC addresses registered and Dal Wireless is only accessible with a "Dal
NetID" which not every visitor might have. The local network took care of
this.

I doubt UCIS has changed their policies since, so you should plan
accordingly. Also, with the number of laptops and general wireless devices
growing a single cell powered by a simple wireless router may not be
sufficient. In that case it might be worth-while to talk to UCIS or FCS if
it is possible to piggy-back a second public wireless network on their
infrastructure.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Oliver