[nSLUG] Selling Used Computers

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 15:28:22 ADT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the past I know there have been efforts to make older computers available,
> sometimes connected to a trade school where students "refurbish" older
> computers.  One problem is that old hard disks are too failure prone and should
> be one of the first components to be replaced with new, so you need some real
> cash for new disk drives.

Watching desktops die at work, and with home and friends, I would
differ with that.  The generation from within the last 3 to 7 years
have sometimes gone through a hard drive upgrade already, as HD
prices came down, capacities leaped, and the desire for modern
games, movies, etc. has driven a need.  The component failing in
many PCs first is often the power supply and motherboard.
I personally have a number of idle IDE drives as a result of this
and replacements with modern systems running on SATA.

The biggest weakness in using old systems today is the upper
limits on their RAM.   Even in Linux, since the 2.6 kernel, beefier
web browsers, fatter browser plugins, Open Office, etc., you
don't want to use a system with only 512MB or so.  There are
ways to run the system with leaner apps, but people want
typical UI + mouse experiences and they want to use facebook,
youtube, PDF readers, etc. on a daily basis.

--Donald