[nSLUG] Selling Used Computers

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 12:59:01 ADT 2010

Computers shouldn't be going to landfill -- they are supposed to be disposed
of in an environmentally sound way which probably means the metals are
kept and the plastic ends up in landfill.

It would be interesting to know how many serviceable computers end up being
recycled in NS.   I know crown assets gets lots of quite reasonable computers
for disposal, but I don't know what fraction are rescued from the
recycling program.

After hearing about the problems for funding of CAP sites, I suspect there
are people who don't have the money for a current windows PS, but could
really benefit from an older computer with linux and a modem (or wireless
if there is a free AP in the local library).   The problem is they may
feel that
they have to have Windows without understanding the pros/cons, and
probably need some help learning how to work with a linux system while
for Windows they can get help from friends.  I have friends who tried installing
linux on older computers for their kids, but the kids "would just die" without
iTunes, so linux was abandoned and they ended up buying new computers.

There are many people who would benefit from simple email and web
browsing. The iTunes objection shouldn't apply to people with really low
income -- especially once they learn about the many free podcasts available
to linux users.

In the past I know there have been efforts to make older computers available,
sometimes connected to a trade school where students "refurbish" older
computers.  One problem is that old hard disks are too failure prone and should
be one of the first components to be replaced with new, so you need some real
cash for new disk drives.    The best source of old PC's is large organizations
that have a bunch of identical older machines to dispose of, so such programs
might not be interested in cast offs from people reading this.

On 3/24/10, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Ben Armstrong wrote:
>
>> Sounds reasonable.  And especially considering Jim's generosity giving
>> away free stuff in the past and the positive responses by our members, I
>> don't think it's unreasonable that he asks for a little bit of
>> compensation for some of the stuff that still has some monetary value.
>
> I'd also like to add my voice in support for Jim (or any other regular
> nslug contributor) occasionally putting up items for sale, particularly
> those that would be of interest to Linux users. I'm also all for anyone
> using nslug to give away hardware that may be of interest/use to linux
> users (not being entirely innocent of this myself) - anything that keeps
> this stuff out of the landfill and in actual use has to be a good thing.
>
> That said, I wouldn't want nslug to become a replacement for hfx.forsale.
> I wouldn't be averse to more tales of Mike Spencer's emacs experiments in
> blacksmithery, though.
>
> Cheers... Dop.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia