[nSLUG] QR code (Was: Date for Linuxfest)

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Mar 23 06:33:10 ADT 2010

On 23/03/10 02:18 AM, Mike Spencer wrote:
> Quite true.  But there *is* an obstacle to looking inside to see how
> it works.  Like JPEG (buy the electronic doc or buy the one book in
> which it appears).  Unlike GIF, the full specs for which are freely
> available despite the Unisys patent bun fight.

I don't dispute that.  And I'm not saying I like the situation either.
I just want to help clear up what seems to be a somewhat muddy topic
about patents and how they may or may not impinge upon our freedom.
However, the translation of the Japanese specification that Adam posted
shows that it's not by patent law that it is hidden, but by copyright on
the specification document.  Anyone else is free to publish a freely
available document explaining how it works, so long as it's not a copy
of the commercial one.

Ben