[nSLUG] BBC iPlayer (UK only) blocking open source flash players

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 08:36:30 ADT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Joshua B. <juggins at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, George N. White III wrote:
>> I suspect you are correct for broadband but the paradox there would be
>> anyone who can afford a high-end condo tower would also be able to drop
>> $50/mo on high speed internet without being particularly concerned.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised to see this cropping up at airports, downtown
> shopping centers, etc.  In fact it might not even be hard to sell this
> package to cafes and shops that allready provide free wireless to
> customers at a loss. I bet many would be willing to switch to a
> service that lets them at least break-even. All that would be sad if
> it squeezed out true "free wireless" offered by some of the more
> enlightened city councils.
>
> But with the latest budget cutting subsidies for any free internet
> with TWENTY FIVE miles of a library  I imagine public access internet
> service is doomed either way.

Now they say they didn't really cut CAP, but that the funds will come
from the program that promotes universal access to high speed internet.
I gather that CAP was providing computers + internet, so it appears
that the computers are endangered, so CAP may eventually become
internet access points supported by ads for the PIP (party in power)
and you will have to bring your own laptop.   We need a program to
collect older laptops, install linux with wireless.   This should be connected
to a training program in computer repair and operation.  Users would
pay rental fees or make "in kind" contributions by community service.
The same program could also provide bikes.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia