[nSLUG] Wireless Router

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Mar 18 12:11:32 ADT 2010

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Daniel Morrison wrote:

> On 15 March 2010 17:07, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
>> I have a Belkin of some flavour with dd-wrt on it. After installing dd-wrt
>> on there I found (a) it won't do what I want it to do on my network and
>> (b) won't take the Belkin firmware back on. If you (or anyone else) wants
>> it it's your's for the cost of never bringing it back to me again as I've
>> replaced it with another unit.
>
> That's rather strange (won't take the Belkin firmware back). Was this
> mentioned in the DD-WRT docs?

There were some cautions, yes. It's a while ago now but from memory this
particular model has 2 meg of flash and a very, very short window of
opportunity for reflashing. I think I could get it to load the firmware
but then for some reason there wasn't enough space to save the config.
although as I say it was a while ago now.

> What did you want DD-WRT to do that it wouldn't? Typically you can do
> almost anything you want, once you've broken in. Achieving it can be
> tricky, though.

I got in fairly easily enough to the point where I had / mounted rw and
installed the tcpdump ipkg. What I couldn't do (or at least, couldn't
figure out how to do) was turn off all the services such as dhcp, dns,
routing, etc and just make it a dumb access point. The Belkin firmware ran
fine but I wanted QoS settings for one thing and another.

> I'm always keen to get a new Linux/DD-WRT compatible router, so if
> this is just sitting around, I'd happily take it off your hands...

For sure. I think I might even venture downtown tomorrow if you're down
there, or you're welcome to swing by here to pick it up.

Cheers... Dop.