[nSLUG] BBC iPlayer (UK only) blocking open source flash players

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Mar 18 11:33:08 ADT 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, George N. White III wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
>> I hear the next step coming down the rung is embedding adverts into
>> games which self-update with the latest advertising content off the
>> net.
>
> The next step is free internet access if you agree to accept ads, but the
> marketers probably don't care about people who don't have the income to
> buy high-speed access, so it would only be available in certain locations
> (high-end condo towers).

I recall "free" dialup in the late 90's which was advertiser supported.
Most of those staggered along for a year or two before finding that people
who couldn't afford "proper" dialup were a poor target market for
advertising pretty much anything.

I suspect you are correct for broadband but the paradox there would be
anyone who can afford a high-end condo tower would also be able to drop
$50/mo on high speed internet without being particularly concerned.

> We aren't even up to April 1 and I just read that MS plans to replace the
> BSOD with adverts.

"This BSOD presented to you by Tim Horton's - now go get a coffee while
you're waiting for a reboot"? Golly, but Sturgeon was a pessimist.

Cheers... Dop.