[nSLUG] IBM Lotus Symphony 3 beta

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 08:26:10 ADT 2010

I gather that Lotus Symphony 3 is a fork of OpenOffice, and that IBM
is not buying new MS Office licenses.  There are versions for linux,
MacOSX, and Windows.
<http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/home>
There are lots of resources for
users and developers.   I suspect many of us are forced to work with
MS Office documents at some point.  At work we see docs from
labs scattered around the world and more of these can be used in OOo
than in our "departmental standard" MS Office.  For most docs
the problem is that the original doc used fonts that aren't available
on our machines.  OOo maps these to free fonts which may be missing
some glyphs or mess up the spacing where MS Office gives something
completely useless.   It will be interesting to see how Symphony 3
works for some of the problem docs.

<http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/25912.wss> "future
generations of Symphony will be developed entirely on the ODF 1.2 and
OpenOffice 3.0 software code base, bringing it in line with the newest
OO technology".

<http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Enterprise-Applications/30-Reasons-Why-Software-Rules-at-IBM-279185/>

Is anyone using Symphony 3 beta?  Are IBM features making it back into
the main tree?

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia