[nSLUG] BBC iPlayer (UK only) blocking open source flash players

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 07:59:47 ADT 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> Free media that that has explicitly advertiser supported content (eg, ad
> breaks) or explicitly obvious content (such as the NASCAR example you
> mentioned) is acceptble in my opinion; what concerns me is the "product
> placement" idea where the adverts are embedded into the show. I hear the
> next step coming down the rung is embedding adverts into games which
> self-update with the latest advertising content off the net.

The next step is free internet access if you agree to accept ads, but the
marketers probably don't care about people who don't have the income to
buy high-speed access, so it would only be available in certain locations
(high-end condo towers).

We aren't even up to April 1 and I just read that MS plans to replace the
BSOD with adverts.  IBM missed an opportunity -- the OS/2 version of
BSOD I see on instant tellers when I need some currency for parking
lots and bridge tolls could be used for adverts.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia