[nSLUG] Wireless Router

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 18:27:00 ADT 2010

On 15 March 2010 17:07, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Mike.lifeguard wrote:
>> I've always wanted to try dd-wrt on a router, but the possibility of
>> bricking it is not really ok with me. Also, my current one is on the
>> "known incompatible" list :D

You have to try pretty hard to brick your router... so long as you
follow the instructions. I've come close on occasion and always
managed to recover. Mind you, my experience is mostly with Linksys and
motorola. I broke an Asus router but that was hardware damage :(

> I have a Belkin of some flavour with dd-wrt on it. After installing dd-wrt
> on there I found (a) it won't do what I want it to do on my network and
> (b) won't take the Belkin firmware back on. If you (or anyone else) wants
> it it's your's for the cost of never bringing it back to me again as I've
> replaced it with another unit.

That's rather strange (won't take the Belkin firmware back). Was this
mentioned in the DD-WRT docs?

What did you want DD-WRT to do that it wouldn't? Typically you can do
almost anything you want, once you've broken in. Achieving it can be
tricky, though.

I'm always keen to get a new Linux/DD-WRT compatible router, so if
this is just sitting around, I'd happily take it off your hands...

-D.