[nSLUG] Wireless Router

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sun Mar 14 15:14:34 ADT 2010

Daniel Morrison wrote:
> On 14 March 2010 07:03, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 802.11n is backwards compatible with b and g.
>
> Is this true? I don't think a literal interpretation of that sentence
> is correct.
>
> Most 802.11n devices also have 802.11b/g capabilties.

I believe that 802.11n required that b/g/a compatibility mode be
present, but the mode can be turned off.

802.11n is a bit of a mess. There are quite a few optional features,
including the features that make 802.11n faster then 802.11g. It is
optional if the devices operates in 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, or both. MIMO is
optional. I believe using the larger 40Mhz channels (vs 20Mhz) is
optional. The end result is that two 802.11n devices could have vastly
different performance and still be fully compliant with the spec.
802.11n was only finalized in October 2009 and most devices on the
market are really only Draft-N.

I would not pay much extra for an 802.11n router over an 802.11g router
today. Unless you read the specs carefully an 802.11n device may not be
any faster then 802.11g.

--
sg