[nSLUG] Wireless Router

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Sat Mar 13 15:43:23 AST 2010

Hi Everybody

I would like to comment on several of the ideas already discussed on
this topic.

1. 802.11: a, b, g, n?

I would go with a router capable of both g and n with MIMO. Why? my
a/b/g router/access point is 4 1/2 years old and still (as far as I
know) going strong.

I had an issue with it a year or two ago when I could not connect from
some locations in my house. The advice I discovered/obtained suggested
that the highest-up location in the building that you could find for it
would give you the best coverage. I moved it from downstairs to upstairs
and have had no more connectivity problems. 802.11n with MIMO generally
(as George has indicated) is likely to give better coverage. The netbook
I bought last year has n capability but has to make do with g for
connection to my router.

If you buy a new laptop a few years from now and your router is sill
working well, you will want your new machine to still be able to work
with the old router. To me it is always worthwhile buying the latest
technology (as long as it is well proven and not at "introduction"
prices) in order to ensure compatibility with possible future purchases
- as far into the future as possible.

2. Laptop wireless card chipset

There used to be a lot of issues with Linux drivers for wireless cards.
These have declined in recent years but have still not disappeared
completely. I have never been able to get either my older laptop or
newer netbook to work with Network Manager on any version of Ubuntu,
although both work quite nicely on Debian Squeeze with ifupdown while at
home and rutilt away from home. (They both have Ralink-based wireless
card chipsets.)

If you have not yet bought your laptops, selecting one whose wireless
chipset has a good known Linux driver could save many hours of frustration.

3. DHCP Reservations/Static Leases

I strongly support Michael's stand on this. You want to be able to set
up your /etc/hosts file so that you can connect between machines by
name, rather than by pinging around until you can discover the current
IP address of the machine you want to connect to.

Regards

Jack