[nSLUG] Wireless Router

Rory rory at unixism.org
Sat Mar 13 10:12:14 AST 2010

I think the Linux based ones simply required more memory than for a
purpose built os/kernel. A lot of them still do run a linux derivative,
but it can be difficult to tweak or replace with other firmware.

I think Buffalo is the most open-source friendly vendor lately  in terms
of collaborating with dd-wrt and making their source available. In case
you want to use your $$ to encourage that sort of thing.

I've had good fun with dd-wrt and recommend it if you want better
features than the original device provides. I have two linksys routers
running it now. The 310N has enough RAM that I use it as a wireless
client to provide ethernet connections in a remote corner of my house
and also as my openvpn server.

The initial flashing process can be daunting but it beats linksys/cisco
default offering.