[nSLUG] Wireless Router

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 21:35:47 AST 2010

Whatever router you buy, make sure you get one that supports DHCP
Reservations, also known as Static Leases.

What these do is allow you to set a fixed IP for some of your hosts,
by filling in a table that associates IP addresses with ethernet MAC
addresses.  You don't need to do this for all your machines, but you
definitely want it for servers, or for machines that you log into via
telnet or ssh frequently.

I was very happy with my Belkin Wireless G+ router - right up until I
discovered it didn't support DHCP Reservations.  I found this hard to
believe, as I expected it would not only be a very basic feature that
any DHCP server would support, but also a very easy one to implement.
But no, it doesn't support it.  In the end I bought an Apple Airport
Extreme, not just for reservations but also because it has three wired
gigabit ports.

Becuase my Belkin wouldn't give any of my boxes fixed addresses, the
Go menu on my MacBook Pro had a bunch of entries that look just like
these:

   nfs://192.168.1.2/home/mike
   nfs://192.168.1.3/home/mike
   nfs://192.168.1.4/home/mike

What still flummoxes me is why my Belkin felt the need to keep
changing the IP addresses on a network that had only two hosts.  It
wasn't like it was running out of addresses.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com