[nSLUG] Wireless Router

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 19:01:44 AST 2010

On 12 March 2010 18:47, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
> I cannot recall the last time I had an issue connecting my linux laptop
> to a wireless access point. In terms of management the (home user) ones
> I have helped people setup in the past few years have all been webbased
> and worked with firefox. Linux compatibility should not be an issue.

I have tried to connect a laptop running Ubuntu to a WPA2 network, and
I have had friend running Ubuntu on their laptop try to connect to a
WPA2 network. I don't know what Ubuntu is doing with wireless
(everything else is good!) but even after lots of clicking and
adjustments neither has been successful. It just doesn't work!

On the other hand, configuring WPA/WPA2 manually (vim
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf) on Slackware works without any trouble. I
can't help thinking that breaking out the cmd-line tools on Ubuntu
would likely have solved the problem, but in my case I didn't have the
time, and my friend refused to let me at his command line, so...

> I cannot recommend one brand over the other. They are all pretty cheap.

I would recommend 802.11b if reliability or distance is a factor over
speed. 802.11g is a good compromise. 802.11n is the fastest but is
likely a less reliable signal, especially over distance.

In terms of model, getting one which runs Linux is always a big plus.
If you get one with a flashable firmware, you can install 3rd party
Linux-based firmware like OpenWRT or DD-WRT, and configure the device
to perform like a fully-fledged enterprise router.

Unfortunately, I think most Linux-based wireless routers are out of
production now, so that means finding a used or old stock. My
favourite is the Motorola WR850G.v2. Linksys made a number of good
models (WRT54G/GS), but you have to be very careful with which version
you get. I can provide details on this if you wish. Dell Truemobile is
another Linux-based device of this type.

Some good references for all the possible models is here:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
and here:
http://oldwiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware.html

-D.