[nSLUG] BBC iPlayer (UK only) blocking open source flash players

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 09:55:53 AST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, George N. White III wrote:
>
>> The content in question is restricted to UK IP's, and UK residents pay
>> a BBC License fee, so the content in question is not readily
>> accessible outside the UK.
>
> The content is not *legitimately* available outside the UK. It is
> trivially available from, off the top of my head:

It may be legitimate if you get thru a source that purchased
the content from BBC or the same originator who sold UK
rights to the BBC.

> http://www.eztv.it
> http://www.thebox.bz
> http://www.uknova.com
>
> If I were feeling twee, I might bring up that comment about the Internet
> recognising silly buggers, and routing around it.

Content providers need to get paid just as book authors and
musicians do.   The problem is that many of the schemes
used to "protect" content originators are designed more for
the benefit of the lawyers and certain companies than for
the audience.   BBC is important because the license system
gives power to a board that is supposed to represent users.
If users have power they will demand access to content
they like (or think they will like due to marketing).   "Free"
radio/TV is a different way of giving control to users as
advertisers won't support content that doesn't generate
sales, which requires viewers and a way of getting them
to notice the sponsor's product, e.g. NASCAR.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia