[nSLUG] BBC iPlayer (UK only) blocking open source flash players

Joshua B. juggins at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 09:53:44 AST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Adam Hartling
<adam.hartling.ns at gmail.com> wrote:
> Optimally, CBC as a public broadcaster should be trying to use more platform
> neutral formats instead of telling us how we should be watching content we
> helped pay for. If I can watch videos on youtube in Linux, I don't see why I
> shouldn't be allowed watch videos in flash on the CBC.

Absolutely.  I agree, however the the CBC website doesn't seem to have
a policy against *allowing* Linux users watching their content. They
just state that it isn't supported. This can mean anything but I
choose to believe it's simply a typical case of a content provider
expecting linux users to "support" themselves.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/help.html:
>Minimum System Requirements
>    Internet Explorer 7.0 or above, Firefox 2.0 or above, or Safari 2.0 or above
>    JavaScript and Cookies must be enabled
>    Adobe Flash Player 9.0.115 or above
>    Microsoft Windows XP SP2 or later or Macintosh OS X
>    1GB RAM
>Linux
>    At this time Linux is not supported.

What do you think?