[nSLUG] Old Electronics

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Jun 7 09:06:16 ADT 2010

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010, Gabriel Rigg wrote:

> I'm looking build a Theremin using schematics from a 1967 article in
> Popular Electronics
(Snip)

> Are there any good local (in NS) sources for finding cheap/free
> electronics, old computers/radios/TVs?  I.E an electronics dump or
> salvage yard, or meetings where people trade (I have plenty of
> older-to-newish computer parts).

***   The HARC show would have been your best bet. That show was a
month ago - sorry. Try contacting the Halifax Amateur Radio Club with
your question.

    That aside, I don't suggest that you bother with electronics that
are too old because you will have to unsolder the components which is
not always easy without destroying them. As well, those components may
have changed value, and even if not, they may now be unreliable.

    You may be able to source new parts; try RAE in Dartmouth.

    Finally, try Usenet for hobbiest newsgroups. Check with your ISP on
how to subscribe.

  Richard