[nSLUG] Computer systems with Linux installed - local retail

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Jan 22 10:41:17 AST 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:01:09 -0400
Michael Gillie <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just make sure they have the product you want in stock, on site. Otherwise,
> they'll keep you waiting for weeks if you have to order it in.

Every vendor occasionally suffers supply problems that are beyond their
control to anticipate or fix.  Sounds like you just had a bit of bad
luck.

Recently I ordered online from ncix.com.  After waiting a reasonable
amount of time for my order to ship, I checked back and searched again
for the part# I wanted.  Turned out there was a new SKU number in the
system for the same, but with a rebate attached.  As soon as I had them
change my order to the new SKU, the order shipped.  Now, ideally an
ordering system would detect and correct this kind of problem, but I
understand this was just plain unlucky timing for me (the rebate offer
started the *day after* I ordered ... so the rebated item wasn't in the
system at the time).  Generally I have nothing but good things to say
about NCIX, and I would not generalize about poor delivery times from
this one experience.

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org