[nSLUG] classroom PC setup - looking for your thoughts

Pat Gagnon patgagnon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 13:16:31 AST 2010

Hello group, I'm hoping someone has already done this and can point me in
the right direction.

What I'm trying to do is setup PCs and laptops in the school where I
volunteer so that they are back to original configuration after reboot.

I know I can use software such as Deepfreeze and Microsoft SteadyState for
Windows but the twist is that I want to offer a dual boot environment with
Ubuntu (or maybe Edubuntu) and have the same reboot back to original config
in the Linux environment.  Anyone know of a Linux equivalent to the
Microsoft base software?  Prefer something with a GUI but not necessary.

I want to give the kids as much freedom as possible on the workstations so
they can really learn the OS' and not always be restricted in what they can
do (ie install/delete/modify anything within the sandbox).  Since the
machine will be back to original state after a reboot, for the most part I
don't care what they do.  They store files on a network server but I still
want to provide a partition for both OS' in case network connectivity is not
available or an issue (especially the laptops).  These 2 partitions, or
maybe just one FAT/FAT32/NTFS for both???, will not be wiped on reboot.

In case this matters for software choices: There are 3 accounts used on all
machines which dictate server file access.  The file server is a Linux
server running a software RAID1 drive array.

Any help on where I start reading up on this type of setup would be much
appreciated.

Thanks.

Pat