[nSLUG] Bell Aliant vs. Eastlink

Adam Cox adam.undefined at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 23:36:18 AST 2010

I have used Aliant in the past but have mostly used Eastlink for the
last 6 years. My experience with customer service with each hasn't
been amazing but I prefer Eastlink's. I've had great experience with
the speed and reliability of Eastlink.

> Anyone else on Eastlink find non-http non-ftp traffic throttled to
> about 600Kb/s down and 40Kb/s up? My bandwidth tests are always fine
> (15/1), http/ftp download and upload is fine but anything like
> ssh/vpn/bittorrent all gets throttled.

I have noticed occasional throttling. I can't recall where I heard it
but I'm pretty sure I heard about throttling after a certain amount of
total downloads. I think it might be on a monthly basis. I generally
see my best speeds early in the month. I don't often measure speeds
for anything other than bittorrent so that is all I have to go on.

Adam Cox <adam.undefined at gmail.com>