[nSLUG] EXT3 missing log file

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Feb 9 14:46:01 AST 2010

Ben wrote: [1]

> Until I close the cat in terminal 1 by issuing an EOF, the file
> exists.  It just doesn't have a directory entry pointing at it.

By "exists", you mean that there is a table entry somewhere in the
running kernel that lists it as an "existing, open" file, an entry
which lsof can find and report on?

But since you haven't issued EOF to the cat command, where does
further input to the cat command go if there is no "directory entry
pointing at it"?  Where does output go when it's to an "existing" file
that has no storage media/capacity associated with it?

(I've long had a related question about pipes but I'll avoid confusion
here and ask that question later.)

- Mike

[1] Recap here for readability above:

> A simple test case demonstrating what's happening with two open
> terminals:
>
> terminal 1:
>
> synrg at lear:~$ cat >testfile
> blah
>
> terminal 2:
>
> synrg at lear:~$ rm testfile
> synrg at lear:~$ lsof |grep testfile
> cat       11005      synrg    1w      REG        8,1        5
> 27349088 /u11/u12/home/synrg/testfile (deleted)

                                                           /V\