[nSLUG] EXT3 missing log file

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Feb 9 14:05:52 AST 2010

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 13:49:57 -0400
John Stanton <john at stantonnet.org> wrote:
> I have a process I do not want to kill, but the filesystem is filling up
> quickly(ext3 100Mb free, and the log file is missing), The process seems
> fine. lsof is saying the file is still open.
>
> Any ideas why the log has disappeared? Or where it may have went?
>
> Any help would be great.

A simple test case demonstrating what's happening with two open
terminals:

terminal 1:

synrg at lear:~$ cat >testfile
blah

terminal 2:

synrg at lear:~$ rm testfile
synrg at lear:~$ lsof |grep testfile
cat       11005      synrg    1w      REG        8,1        5
27349088 /u11/u12/home/synrg/testfile (deleted)

Until I close the cat in terminal 1 by issuing an EOF, the file
exists.  It just doesn't have a directory entry pointing at it.

Ben

 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org