[nSLUG] Router won't do 100mbps locally

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Mon Feb 8 20:20:20 AST 2010

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Mike Spencer wrote:

> and Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
>
>> Even a cheap switch should accommodate different speeds and duplexes
>> on all ports. I would plug all devices into the switch regardless of
>> speed.
>
> I didn't know that. It's contrary to what I was told elsewhere and
> appeared to be contrary to whatr Dop wrote:
>
> Dop> Make sure you plug any 10 meg only hardware into the router
> Dop> though.
>
> But now I know it. Provisionally. ;-)

3 reasons: (1) dumb switches are called dumb for a reason; if the ASIC has
problems it will just drop or mangle a packet and leave it to a higher
layer to recover. If most of the ports are running at high speed there's
fewer opportunities for the ASIC to get it wrong; (b) if you plug 10 meg
hardware into 10 meg hardware the possibility of problems with 10/100
negotiation are eliminated, not to mention reducing collision errors from
fewer 10/100 transitions; and (iii) for the AR amongst us, it makes the
idiot lights on the switch look untidy.

> Donald> In reality all of the consumer electronics are junk for
> Donald> quality.
>
> I feel a rant coming on and y'all have been more than patient with me
> so far so I'll postpone it. :-)

Consumer grade hardware is built down to a price. Commercial grade
hardware is built up to a standard.

Cheers... Dop.