[nSLUG] Re: Router won't do 100mbps locally

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Feb 6 16:29:43 AST 2010

and Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:

> Even a cheap switch should accommodate different speeds and duplexes
> on all ports. I would plug all devices into the switch regardless of
> speed.

I didn't know that. It's contrary to what I was told elsewhere and
appeared to be contrary to whatr Dop wrote:

Dop> Make sure you plug any 10 meg only hardware into the router
Dop> though.

But now I know it. Provisionally. ;-)

> If you are not using the d-link as a router why no toss it and
> connect the printer to the same computer that dials out?

Well, it provides:

     + Wireless for laptops which are inconvenient to connect by cable,

     + Wireless to a box whose only task is to support a SCSI flatbed
       scanner and whose location is inconvenient for cable.

     + Printer service for all machines: two main ones, two laptops,
       the scanner/SCSI box and whatever other one I'm experimenting with.
       Also capacity to run these over telnet instead of bumbling back
       and forth between keyboards.

I suppose I could set up the main box as a print server and cable the
wireless hosts to a switch.  More bother. At such time as I get some
(any) kind of high speed net, I imagine I'll go for a major
reconfiguration and have to upgrade this and that.

> I am not trying to cause trouble.

Of course not.

> It just don't like buggy hardware.

Agreed. But then, I knew a guy who (circa 1948) burned out a con rod
bearing in stock car trials.  Minutes before the starting flag, he
hacked a piece off his leather belt to replace the bad bearing
and went on to win the race. He had at most an 8th grade education and
didn't speak grammatical English but he had the Hacker Nature. :-)

Unlike the rod bearing that was audible and visible, with all this
electronic stuff, failures are, for all practical purposes,
imponderable and hermetic.  Exhaustive testing by comparison and
elimination or testing with advanced circuit analyzers and the like
don't come in under "practical purposes".  "Throw away and replace"
can lead (admittedly worst case) to recursion, an infinite regress
into unfamiliar and flakey hardware.

Donald> In reality all of the consumer electronics are junk for
Donald> quality.  The only reason people put up with it is the next
Donald> replacement is typically less cost than the previous and has
Donald> 2x performance or additional bling.

I feel a rant coming on and y'all have been more than patient with me
so far so I'll postpone it. :-)

- Mike