[nSLUG] Router won't do 100mbps locally

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sat Feb 6 15:47:04 AST 2010

Mike Spencer wrote:

 > That last sentence: I infer that a switch will accommodate the lowest
 > common speed so that plugging any 10 meg device into it will cause it
 > to throttle down to 10 meg on all lines.  Is that right?

Even a cheap switch should accommodate different speeds and duplexes on
all ports. I would plug all devices into the switch regardless of speed.
In your case my only concern would be the switch trying to
auto-negotiate with your D-Link router. It should work, but from what I
gather the D-Link is buggy.

If you are not using the d-link as a router why no toss it and connect
the printer to the same computer that dials out? I am not trying to
cause trouble. It just don't like buggy hardware.

--
sg