[nSLUG] Router won't do 100mbps locally

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Feb 6 13:51:51 AST 2010

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Jim Haliburton <jim at on-site.ns.ca> wrote:
>
>> 6) (with tongue in cheek) Buy a new cheap router. It will probably
>>     solve your problems for less that $30.00
>
> Yeah, well, comparable routers seem to start at $60. Then I need a
> ($40?)  USB->Centronics converter cable for my perfectly good laser
> printer.  Plus setup time and re-learning stuff I already know but
> with different knobs and levers.  I can live with a 10Mbps LAN.

Get a cheap switch (I see www.greenlyph.com have an 8 port switch for $30,
for example), and plug everything into that, including the router. 100 meg
LAN and you still have your router (which is limited by upstream anyway)
and print queue server (which won't care about being throttled to 10 meg).
Make sure you plug any 10 meg only hardware into the router though.

Cheers... Dop.