[nSLUG] Re: Router won't do 100mbps locally

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Feb 6 03:41:57 AST 2010

D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> I notice the latest firmware for the DI-713P is dated 2002.
> I've gone through 4 or 5 wireless routers from that
> period to now.  If you're not using yours as the firewall/gateway
> to high speed, this probably doesn't matter....

I'm not. I have dialup on one box via serial port and modem.  The
router connects 2 (sometimes 4) other hosts and a printer.  Net
security is all in the main box. And I'm sufficiently remote that
anyone trying to freeload on the wireless (without freezing to death)
would have to be very conspicuous and thus subject to umm.... analog
countermeasures.

> In reality all of the consumer electronics are junk for quality.
> The only reason people put up with it is the next replacement is
> typically less cost than the previous and has 2x performance or
> additional bling.

Another reason why I hate buying new electronics. Stuff that's been
working for a couple of years will probably continue to do so for
several more. I don't have the stats but I think I've seen data to the
effect that failures peak very early, taper off rapidly and rise only
slowly with advanced age.

And besides, I can't get the specific bling that I want, only the
newest, flashiest, most un-proven bling that's incompatible with the
aging bling I already have.

> I want to be able to return the junk for exchange immediately
> with no additional costs.

Same.  I even avoid chain stores for anything I don't regard as
disposable.

> (Yes, be wary of open box.)

You have to watch Princess Auto on that, too.  Twice I've bought items
there (generator and propane salamander) which, when I got them home
and found they didn't work, offered conclusive evidence that they'd
been raided for parts.  Customer returns item, staff guy replaces
offending part with one raided from an item in stock, customer goes
away happy, staffer puts the failed part into the stock item and puts
it back on the shelf.

> If one works with networking often enough, having a cross-over
> cable is standard tool to have and should be useful
> for many years.  It will also provide you with a basic machine
> to machine network when there is no switch/hub/router
> available.

Right.  I had a null modem cable for that for years. Can I use it?
[whine, whine :-]  Maybe I *should* have one of those.

> [Electronics] is far too disposable and I'd hope we could do better.
> Yes there is the upgrade path thing, but with some design, it could be
> modules rather than entire devices which are upgraded,

I've been doing that forever.  Only ever bought one new computer since
my first in '87.  If I get an oldish box, buy a new HD, possibly a new
CD/DVD/burner (depending on which decade we're talking about :-), I'm
set for quite a while.  Of course then I inquire here about problems
that people have forgotten how to fix instead of ones they haven't yet
figured out how to fix. :-)

- Mike

                                                           /V\