[nSLUG] Router won't do 100mbps locally

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 02:48:53 AST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Yeah, well, comparable routers seem to start at $60. Then I need a
> ($40?)  USB->Centronics converter cable for my perfectly good laser
> printer.  Plus setup time and re-learning stuff I already know but
> with different knobs and levers.  I can live with a 10Mbps LAN.

I notice the latest firmware for the DI-713P is dated 2002.
I've gone through 4 or 5 wireless routers from that
period to now.  If you're not using yours as the firewall/gateway
to high speed, this probably doesn't matter, but I find
that keeping the model/firmware current is an aid to
keeping the connections reliable.  With an unmaintained
model it is hard to tell whether there are DOS attacks
or similar which confuse older firmware, or the cheap
electronics is just designed obsolescence and
tend to go south after a 24 month burn in.

Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:

> > But I highly suspect the D-Link is just broken.
>
> Probably. You'd think there'd be a bunch of net reports or questions
> about the problem, though, since there are numerous (old) posts
> praising that model.

I see bad reports on all models.  You see people go through
a couple of models with one brand, and then swear they
are finished with D-Link/Linksys and they will go only
with Linksys/D-Link.  In reality all of the consumer electronics
are junk for quality.  The only reason people put up with
it is the next replacement is typically less cost than
the previous and has 2x performance or additional bling.

This is why I'll never buy routers and APs by mail order.
I want to be able to return the junk for exchange immediately
with no additional costs.  There may be stores that
will tell you defunct purchases require doing an RMA
with the manufacturer.  To avoid that nonsense, you
can use the phrase "it didn't meet my needs" and the
clerks are just as happy.  (Yes, be wary of open box.)
I'm talking about stuff that is DOA after coming home
from the store.

> > I agree with Dop -- try a cross-over cable direct between the
> > systems. As well, try a dumb fast ethernet switch in place of the
> > D-Link.
>
> Just have to go buy new electronic doo-doo to keep my old gear
> running.  No, just to *diagnose* it.  I'll just buy a new router when
> this one finally dies or I truly need better speed or more features.
> Maybe when Eastlink finally gets the wireless tower for this area
> working?

If one works with networking often enough, having a cross-over
cable is standard tool to have and should be useful
for many years.  It will also provide you with a basic machine
to machine network when there is no switch/hub/router
available.

I was hoping for a magic incantation.  F'rgzample, this DELL P4 (now
> nearly all customized to suit me) would consistently crash X when
> doing a console switch from console n (0<n<7) back to X in console 7.
> Seems there is a smallish family of DELLs with a BIOS bug such that
> BIOS is never correctly notified about X's video RAM
> allocation. [Arcane details elided.]  A guy in Germany wrote a little
> (OSS) program which can be run from /etc/rc.d/rc.local at boot which
> patches whatever is broken.  Magic incantation, all fixed.
>
> Not so lucky with the router.

Unless someone makes alternate firmware for it.
This would likely not resolve your problem if it
is within the physical/electronics end of things.

I hope electronics becomes the next bottled water.
It is far too disposable and I'd hope we could
do better.  Yes there is the upgrade path thing,
but with some design, it could be modules rather
than entire devices which are upgraded, and we
could also avoid the 20 different levels of
products from one improvement.

--Donald