[nSLUG] Re: Router won't do 100mbps locally

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Feb 6 01:36:06 AST 2010

Just to follow up on my router problem:

Joseph Doyle <fed.gov.cs at gmail.com> wrote:

> This router has a history in this area and you most likely will not
> achieve a stable connection unless you lock it at 10mb Full
> Duplex. This is what I have learned in regards to this router.

That sounds like experience speaking. I think I'm stuck with 10Mbps,
which is what I've had all along by forcing 10Mbps Full with ethtool
(after someone here pointed me to it, tnx.)

Jim Haliburton <jim at on-site.ns.ca> wrote:

> Some Linux drivers will NOT set the speed correctly if the wire is
> connected.  Some drivers do NOT reset the card correctly.  There are a
> slew of Intel cards that do not have drivers that reset correctly
> except at power off and plug removed from the power supply.  With
> these the only choice is to start the PC with the network cable
> disconnected from the PC.  Once all the drivers are loaded insert the
> cable.

Can of worms, eh, Jim?  Dead-chicken cure, eh?  Did that. Yes, I
pulled the power plug.  Card and DI-713P still twiddle infinitely when
plugged together, no connection.  Resetting to 10BaseT-FD makes a
stable connection.

> 2)  Use a known good cable beware of "split pairs"

I have factory-made CAT-5e cables.

> 6) (with tongue in cheek) Buy a new cheap router. It will probably
>     solve your problems for less that $30.00

Yeah, well, comparable routers seem to start at $60. Then I need a
($40?)  USB->Centronics converter cable for my perfectly good laser
printer.  Plus setup time and re-learning stuff I already know but
with different knobs and levers.  I can live with a 10Mbps LAN.

Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I highly suspect the D-Link is just broken.

Probably. You'd think there'd be a bunch of net reports or questions
about the problem, though, since there are numerous (old) posts
praising that model.

> I agree with Dop -- try a cross-over cable direct between the
> systems. As well, try a dumb fast ethernet switch in place of the
> D-Link.

Just have to go buy new electronic doo-doo to keep my old gear
running.  No, just to *diagnose* it.  I'll just buy a new router when
this one finally dies or I truly need better speed or more features.
Maybe when Eastlink finally gets the wireless tower for this area
working?

I was hoping for a magic incantation.  F'rgzample, this DELL P4 (now
nearly all customized to suit me) would consistently crash X when
doing a console switch from console n (0<n<7) back to X in console 7.
Seems there is a smallish family of DELLs with a BIOS bug such that
BIOS is never correctly notified about X's video RAM
allocation. [Arcane details elided.]  A guy in Germany wrote a little
(OSS) program which can be run from /etc/rc.d/rc.local at boot which
patches whatever is broken.  Magic incantation, all fixed.

Not so lucky with the router.

Thanks all for suggestions, pointers and enlightening discussion,
- Mike

                                                           /V\