[nSLUG] chat server for small office?

Oliver Baltzer oliver at hytek.org
Fri Feb 5 17:01:47 AST 2010

Stephen Gregory wrote:
> At my work we are going to install a chat server for about a dozen
> people. Currently people are using a mix of Google Talk and MSN. My
> first inclination is to install an irc server.
>
> Should I install something else instead?
>
> We don't need a full on "collaboration server." Just easy chat. We need
> something that has both Linux and Windows clients. The server will only
> run on our intranet and doesn't need to connect to other servers or
> networks. Open source is preferred.

At work I am running a centralized XMPP/ejabberd
(http://www.ejabberd.im/) on our corporate network across 3 continents
and it works well.

Officially supported client is Pidgin for Linux and Windows, but some of
the Windows users have elected to use Trillian as a client which works
as well.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Oliver