[nSLUG] Router won't do 100mbps locally

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:34:35 AST 2010

On 4 February 2010 12:55, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Daniel Morrison wrote:
>> And in any case, gigabit ethernet REQUIRES autonegotiation.
> Mike's cards don't support gigabit, they appear to max out at 100/full.

I know. I was suggesting that *enterprise* servers don't have the
option anymore, as they would be gigabit (or fibre). Disabling
autonegotiation on Mike's equipment isn't even an option anyway.

> In the enterprise world I'm working in a lot of stuff is broken (shock!),
> and things tend to be implemented as safely as possible. Disabling
> autonegotiation at both ends is standard practice for the enterprise
> software as a result, and when the bundle costs the best part of half a
> million dollars, things are installed according to the vendors'
> requirements.

The argument that "the companies we buy from make broken hardware, but
we're better than that" (i.e. can track port assignments accurately
and efficiently) doesn't work for me. If IBM and Cisco can't get it
right, then I'm mighty impressed that your company can implement
"change management" that works better. Conversely, if you can be so
efficient, then I'm sure the big guys can fix autonegotiation -- and
in fact I believe it is this latter which is the case. Autonegotiation
mostly "just works" nowadays.

Another part of what you've said is: "hardware companies make broken
hardware, but software companies' installation instructions are
gospel", which I also find hard to swallow, especially when the
software instructions refer to hardware! A lot of "enterprise level"
documentation is simply wrong.

I've had this debate before, and I doubt we'll settle it here... in
any case, people are free to do as they will, and neither approach is
incorrect. Dop recommends disabling auto-negotiation for
enterprise-level data centres, which is fine. I recommend leaving
autonegotiation enabled for all ordinary situations (from home to
office to data centre) and I think that is fine also.

-D.