[nSLUG] Router won't do 100mbps locally

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Feb 4 12:55:53 AST 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Daniel Morrison wrote:

> "in the enterprise world"... This may work alright for permanently
> installed servers, but would be a disaster in any situation where the
> port connections are moved around.

Proper change management captures that if it's in the DC, and if it's
users... Well, I'm in the fortunate situation of not having to deal with
users any more :-)

> And in any case, gigabit ethernet REQUIRES autonegotiation.

Mike's cards don't support gigabit, they appear to max out at 100/full.

> So take this advice with a grain of salt. In my experience, using
> autonegotiation everywhere is the way to go, unless a specific (broken)
> piece of hardware is involved. And in that case, it's often preferable
> to just replace the hardware.

In the enterprise world I'm working in a lot of stuff is broken (shock!),
and things tend to be implemented as safely as possible. Disabling
autonegotiation at both ends is standard practice for the enterprise
software as a result, and when the bundle costs the best part of half a
million dollars, things are installed according to the vendors'
requirements.

Cheers... Dop.