[nSLUG] Router won't do 100mbps locally

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 11:29:39 AST 2010

- 100BT only uses two pairs, but still needs decent cables (cat5 or cat5e)
- autonegotiation needs to be set on both sides of the link.
Alternately, forced settings need to be the same on both sides of the
link. As you cannot force the d-link, it needs to be autonegotiation
all around.
- autonegotiation sets duplex also. So don't set the duplex, just turn
autoneg on. If it still doesn't work, maybe try setting half duplex,
for a lark...

But I highly suspect the D-Link is just broken. I agree with Dop --
try a cross-over cable direct between the systems. As well, try a dumb
fast ethernet switch in place of the D-Link.

On 4 February 2010 11:18, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> Autonegotiation isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be, either. The
> general recommendation for most applications in the enterprise world is to
> hard code the speed on the NIC and the switch rather than relying on
> autoneg.

"in the enterprise world"... This may work alright for permanently
installed servers, but would be a disaster in any situation where the
port connections are moved around. And in any case, gigabit ethernet
REQUIRES autonegotiation. So take this advice with a grain of salt. In
my experience, using autonegotiation everywhere is the way to go,
unless a specific (broken) piece of hardware is involved. And in that
case, it's often preferable to just replace the hardware.

-D.