[nSLUG] Router won't do 100mbps locally

Jason Kenney jdkenney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 09:51:00 AST 2010

You're getting your stacks mixed up.  ECN is a feature of TCP, which
runs over IP.  If you are not getting an IP, that may just mean there
is something wrong with DHCP (assuming that is what you are using, you
don't say).

But from your description it sounds more like the Ethernet link
doesn't come up.  If you have a duplex/speed mismatch you can still
get some, albeit slow connectivity between them.

Try checking the interface stats with ifconfig on the server.  Do you
see a lot of collisions or errors?  In general I would not bother with
using ethtool to unset auto-negotiation unless there's a clear problem
with doing so.  Especially since you can't set the router side - it's
really meant to be used by both ends of the connection I believe.

I'd put autoneg back on and check the cables and the hardware first.
I get the feeling these ethernet interfaces might be used, and maybe
not entirely trustworthy?

Jason