[nSLUG] Mirrors

Johnathan Thibodeau jthibo at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Feb 3 13:48:31 AST 2010

Daniel Morrison wrote:
> Thanks for the tip! Errrr, and the address would be?

Should be ftp.nrc.ca . I'm not sure what their setup is, but it seems to
be a gateway onto a couple other ftp servers. ftp3.nrc.ca is the one
advertised by Debian as holding their mirrors, which I used prior to
Dal's mirror.

> I googled and found ftp://ftp.nrc.ca/, but it's not responding right now...

Are you by chance using Google Chrome?

I happened to be playing around with Chrome the past couple days, and
when I tried browsing ftp://ftp.nrc.ca with it, it doesn't work! Seems
Chrome isn't closing the FTP data connection, which is causing a delay
in the server's response. At least that's what a cursory glance with
Wireshark seemed to be saying. Using a regular FTP client works correctly.

And it's not just the NRC's FTP site, I can't connect to any FTP server
with Chrome. Anyone else have this issue?

> I think the short answer is: the Dal mirror is primarily intended for
> people at Dal/on campus, it raises Dal's profile (i.e. good
> publicity), and more mirrors are better!

Hurrah!

> On 3 February 2010 09:13, Warren Robertson <WRobertson at dal.ca> wrote:
>> [ ... ] I use it here at Dal and I can download faster
>> from it then I can transfer from a local server.....which seems very
>> strange.

Looking at your Fedora download speed below, your network port must be
turned up to 100 Mbps ( 11325.59 KBps ~ 88 Mbps, and doesn't TCP ease
back to and average of around 90% of maximum throughput? )

Chances are your server is connected at 10 Mbps. Unless someone
specifically asked for more, UCIS would have set it to 10 Mbps when they
installed the connection. I still don't know why 10 Mbps is the
'standard' for a UCIS connection. Blargh.

So it's likely the port speed to your server is the bottleneck.

>> Oh, and it has every distribution I've ever looked for.

They even have a ZMailer mirror which is up to date with a U of T mirror
which was last updated in the mid '90s. Woot! It's a shame they don't
have an Ubuntu-cd mirror though.

--
John