[nSLUG] VirtualBox running a 64 Bit Host

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 23:11:17 AST 2010

Hi Sheldon,

I tried booting a 64-bit Windows 7 DVD in VirtualBox running on my
64-bit Slackware-13.0. Windows tried to start up, but failed with an
error. However I was able to boot a 64-bit CentOS 5.2 DVD with no
problem.

So I think this shows that VirtualBox can run a 64-bit guest OS when
running on a 64-bit host.

Perhaps make certain that in 'Settings', 'General', 'Basic', your
operating system 'Version' is set to something '64 bit'... although I
was still able to boot the 64-bit Linux system even when I did not
chose 64 bit.

It may also be necessary to be running the 64-bit build of VirtualBox!
You might want to check that...

My VirtualBox version is 3.1.2 r56127 (64 bit).

-D.