[nSLUG] New Nova Scotia Open Source mirror, mirror.its.dal.ca

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 22:14:53 AST 2010

>> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 06:52:44PM -0400, Karl Vollmer wrote:
>> > Also we've still got a few TB free so if you have suggestions on
>> > additional things you'd like to see mirrored let us know. We've been

I don't have an actual tarball yet, but I'm bringing the Word Services
Software Development Kit for Mac OS X, Classic Mac OS, BeOS and Haiku
back from the dead:

   http://www.dulcineatech.com/word-services/

  http://www.dulcineatech.com/word-services/developers/

I should have a proper release Real Soon Now.

Word Services isn't very big and is really Quite Cool.

I have some longer-term plans to define it for POSIX/X11 as well as Windows.

It requires a specific, different operating system-dependent
communication protocol because of the way document-centric
interapplication communication is handled.  TCP/IP or UNIX Domain
Sockets don't really have the rich semantics of of the Apple Event
Object Model:

   tell application Microsoft Word to delete the second word of the
first paragraph of the document named "Blow Me Bill"

... but that expression is really quite straightforward to implement
from C or C++ using Apple Events and BMessages.

Richard Stallman His Very Self suggested I could do this in Gnome
using CORBA, but I never got very far into it.  Someday...

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com