[nSLUG] OT: big box stores selling "setup" services for $100

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 19:47:04 AST 2010

My pet peeve of this past few weeks has been overhearing sales
persons in Futureshop and Staples sell the ridiculous new PC
"setup" service for roughly $100.

The spin goes: this will optimize your new computer, make sure it is
running 100%, answer all of the set up questions for you, and create
the system recovery DVDs.  While they likely fill in a necessary gap
of creating Windows recovery media, this service is highly overpriced.

I have noticed about 80% of the people who ask me to fix their
Win OS problem have no way to reinstall the OS that came with
their system and must buy Windows again.  This is quite the
scam by the PC vendors in favor of doubling the Microsoft OS sales.

I dislike hearing the sales person sell the setup service.
Like a new car sales tactic, it is done after the person has logically
and emotionally crossed the hurdle of putting their money on a
particular system.  I want to pull the victim aside and tell them
they are throwing away their money.

Has anyone had experiences with this or done anything interesting

--Donald