[nSLUG] Ubuntu desktop background

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 00:43:34 AST 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Sheldon Tower <sheldontower at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that's a great idea. This blog gives a pretty good description of the XML file:
>
> http://blog.robbychen.com/2010/03/29/create-a-wallpaper-slideshow-on-ubuntu/

I have an example xml file if its not too late (attached). I use it
along side cron to get a ~realtime view of the earth and moon;
However, I do not get to see my background often to appreciate it. Its
only when the service is down or I have connectivity problems is when
I say: hey, where's my background!

my cron entry is as follows (its for zsh, thanks mentor :))

(urls=(http://static.die.net/earth/mercator/1600.jpg
http://static.die.net/earth/hemisphere/1600.jpg
http://static.die.net/moon/512.jpg); outs=(mercator hemisphere moon);
for x in 1 2 3; do wget --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows
NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6" -O
~/.backgrounds/realtime/${outs[$x]}.jpg ${urls[$x]}; done; touch
~/.backgrounds/realtime/background.xml) >/dev/null 2>&1

The agent string is required due to a recent change made by die.net, I
am not sure if its to block users doing what we are doing or simply to
redirect crawlers to a different page.

--
Hatem Nassrat