[nSLUG] .Xauthority and communal directory

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Aug 16 13:09:00 ADT 2010

On 08/16/2010 12:54 PM, Eri Ramos Bastos wrote:
> Looks like the problem is .Xauthority and after some research I added
> this to /etc/bashrc:
>
> export XAUTHORITY=/tmp/.Xauthority.$LOGNAME

/tmp is world-writable and .Xauthority contains secrets which must not
be known to others or else security of the X session may be compromised,
so i wouldn't at all be surprised if X rules it out as a suitable place
to write your .Xauthority files.  You have the same problem (albeit on a
smaller scale, involving only users of the common account) writing files
to /home/common, but maybe that's sufficient to make X happy.

Ben