[nSLUG] .Xauthority and communal directory

Eri Ramos Bastos bastos.eri at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 12:54:49 ADT 2010

Hello, List.

Wondering if anyone has an idea how to work around this issue:

I have centralized authentication (ldap) on all my Linux boxes and
everyone have access to their own directory, which works fine.
However I have a couple servers on the DMZ which don't have access to
the file server, so all users are sent to a communal directory once
they login.

$ grep home /etc/profile.d/dmz.sh
export HOME=/home/common

Everything works fine, except a couple applications and scripts that
require X access, which fail with the following message:

$ xterm
X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
$

Looks like the problem is .Xauthority and after some research I added
this to /etc/bashrc:

export XAUTHORITY=/tmp/.Xauthority.$LOGNAME

But still, no luck here.

If I create a local user I can open xterm over SSH just fine so I
thing I got the problem figured out. I'm just missing the resolution
now, but Google is giving me a hard time on this one.

Any ideas, please?

Regards,
Eri Ramos Bastos