[nSLUG] Proprietary Software for Linux

Sheldon Tower sheldontower at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 12:44:58 ADT 2010

  I also believe that hardware should be 100% open. There's nothing more
frustrating when you get a new piece of hardware, only to discover that
it relies on proprietary software. I recently spent a bit more money on
an HP All in One printer, simply because my wife could print from her
Windows Vista machine, and I could (finally) print from my laptop
running Ubuntu. Linux compatibility is the most important quality when I
choose hardware now. It's sad I have to search for Linux compatibility.
It should be a given.

The reason I think proprietary software is here to stay is because it
gives people an incentive to become a professional developer.
Proprietary software = salary for a developer, doesn't it? I read in
Linux Format a while back that even the original creator of Debian went
to the dark side, and took a job with Microsoft.

I use to have a Creative Zen V Plus, and it worked great under Linux. I
gave it to my brother in law after getting an iPod Touch for Christmas,
which I absolutely love, even if it's proprietary. I did try to sync it
using GTKPod, with no luck. I will try Hipo, but I might have to
jailbreak it in the end. That's alright with me, as long as I can use it
independent of Windows.

Sheldon