[nSLUG] Proprietary Software for Linux

Scott Walsh walsh at cs.dal.ca
Sun Aug 15 12:08:25 ADT 2010

I'm really torn in this issue, part of me thinks closed software is
evil, and part of me thinks that we need some closed software to gain
credibility. To be clear, I only think that closed software appeals to
the people that aren't already running something *nix. It's the "well
Company XYZ is releasing their applications for Linux, it must be a good
platform" mentality.

It really is a critical mass sort of thing, there are closed software
solutions for Linux that are server specific(databases come to mind),
but not very many that are targeting end users on the desktop(Last.fm
actually does an excellent job, they even support FBSD, but I can't
think of many others). Critical mass turns into a chicken and egg
problem, users won't be there without the apps, and app developers won't
be there without user base.

When it comes to hardware, I'm very much against having a closed stack.
It irritates me that I'm supposed to be running software X, which is
only released on platforms Y, to connect to device Z. Plugging in
hardware should be like plugging in a lamp(for things that can function
as USB storage); there are a few well defined standards for NA
electricity, and if I plug something in, I get light. I understand that
the business model really hinges on iTunes for Apple; the software makes
it very easy to get into the store and start buying things.

I think that for the specific example of iTunes, you can't convince
enough users running Linux that it's worthwhile to harass Apple. We're
used to being ignored, and we've found ways to compensate.

This is enough rambling for one Sunday :)

-Scott