[nSLUG] Re: Browsers and source saving (was "Re: Re: amusing convergence of old and new")

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Apr 16 02:21:55 ADT 2010

This morphed from a short comment into a rant. Hit delete here if
that will be  annoying.

Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:10:41PM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:
>>
>>     Clicking on such an icon causes the image to be fetched and the
>>     page re-rendered to include the image.
>
> You want the ImgLikeOpera extension:
>
> http://imglikeopera.mozdev.org/

Hmmm... okay, lemmesee here...

Oh, right.  That's an XPI file.  So what's in it?  Right: javascript.
So much for disabling js, eh?  I'm guessing here that all "extensions"
to Firefox are written in js.  So if you disable js as a defensive
move against intrusive code, you also disable extensions?

> I am guessing the authors of the extension are too young to remember
> Opera.

Opera appears to be alive and well.  ITYM Netscape?  Yes, probably so.

Just to defend being so cranky:

I like to try to understand the technology I use (in the most general
sense) at a deeper level than "turn the key, put the pedal to the
floor".  But there is (obviously) too much to do that with everything.

Everything is "stuff" so I majored in chemistry.  My own body is
pretty important so it was biochemistry with a lot of physiology.  The
car has been dominant tech for most of the last century.  So I spent a
few years as a mechanic back when cars were analog.  Food is an
essential so I can raise and butcher a pig or grow a year's supply of
vegetables.  When privately owned computers came along, I learned to
program in assembler and C.  When the web came along, I learned to
write HTML.  The blacksmithing is a whole rant/digression in itself.

Other stuff too -- not to tout my accomplishments but just the
opposite: it's all the stuff I just skipped, that I understand poorly
or not at all. If I was going to RTFM and the underlying specs as
well, the choices had/have to be very selective.  So with the tidal
wave of new digital tech, I can't stand to "just do it", download the
software and launch it without having a clue what it's doing under the
hood. But life is too short (and my aging mind too feeble) to master
everything that comes along.

So what's worth taking the trouble to understand?  js?  XML?  The
Firefox API (if there is one)?  Crypto?  rsync? Setting the clock on
my VCR?

KISS except where "complicated and arcane" promises reward.

Maybe I should just shut up now and go do something useful such as
fabricate a steel dishpan to replace the leaky enamel one that can no
longer be found in the stores. All-analog tech.

ObLinux: (But maybe I'll write a perl script to solve the cone-shape
-> pattern layout once and for all.)

- Mike

                                                           /V\